First and foremost I am influenced by my immediate environment.
I work instinctively making connections with what is happening in my life through the exploration of a diversity of materials and techniques while remaining open to possibilities.
I want to surprise myself.
Relationships and the emotional ties that both bind and support us in life and the individual need to make a mark, to say 'I was here' interest me.
I also work collaboratively with Elaine Allison, to view our work follow the link under Alison and Bray.
MFA. Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee.
B.A.Hons. Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee.
Teaching experience & previous employment
Part- time Art Tutor with Fife College 1998-
Part-time Art Tutor with SMAH The Scottish Association for Mental Health 2012-
• Supply Art Tutor HMP Glenochil Prison through Lauder College Dunfermline
• Illustrator D.C.Thomson & Co. Ltd Publishers Dundee 1979-1992
Fife visual arts award 2017
RSW Watermark award 2015
Fife visual arts award 2011
Fife visual arts award 2010
Scottish Arts Council funding award for CATS
(Creative and technical course for artists) DCA Print Studios Dundee 2001
John Kinross Travel Scholarship for three months
in Florence Italy 1999
Carnegie Trust Vacation Scholarship 1997
Work in public collections
RSA Royal Scottish Academy
DCA Dundee Contemporary Arts
Museum collections St Andrews University
• Kunstlerhaus Lukas residency Ahrenshoop, Germany (2014 Allison & Bray) (http://www.kuenstlerhaus-lukas.de/englisch/index1.php)
• The space between - mini residency in the Kingdom Shopping Centre 2011
• Two month residency in Sand, Norway (Allison & Bray) 2007
• Two-month residency, Sculpture Space Utica New York State (Allison & Bray) 2006
Recent news and projects
• 2016 Painting selected for The Sunday Times Watercolour Competition
• 2016 Painting selected for the RWS annual competition 2016
• 2015 painting selected for The Sunday Times Watercolour Competition
• Painting selected for the RSW Summer Exhibition, Ayr
• Preserved between the Image and the word
Group exhibition for StAnza Scotland’s International Poetry festival. This exhibition was a collaborative response to the Bell Pettigrew Collection by artists Kyra Clegg, Patricia Bray, Elaine Allison and poet Anna Crowe. The exhibition was shown in The Preservation Trust Museum, St Andrews.
• 2014 Painting selected for The Sunday Times Watercolour Competition